Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Notes on Drawing

Drawing for a visual artist is like practicing scales or arpeggios for a musician. It's how I grow as an artist. Where I develop ideas, resolve compositional problems. It helps me clear my mind and focus before I start painting. It's a playground. I can use graphite, I can use charcoal, scissors, ink, brush, a twig.

In my drawing play is an important element and having lots of inexpensive sketchbooks and paper around allows me to feel free to do lots of them and not worry about wasting materials or cost. When I am at work and away from the studio I swipe post-it note pads and fill them up with tiny little doodles. Often times I can resolve compositional problems between typesetting or while I'm on the phone that I am struggling with in the studio. Or begin the nascent process of developing new compositions. [...more]

theblindswimmer.com

No comments: